Thursday, October 20, 2011

October 20, 2011


I was cleaning out my closet and came across this in an old teacher's math book from 1856. I knew I had it, just hadn't seen it for a while. It came from a relative of my maternal grandmother. It's interesting to read it and wonder what it was like in 1866. There are little bumps on the back of the paper as if the (dotted) lines were made with a typewriter, though I'd imagine certificates like this would have been printed with a printing press. I also enjoy looking at the handwriting from those times, it is elegant. I also noticed how they had to hand-write an 's' in front of 'he', for the part about 'which (s)he is authorized...'. I had to look up 'orthography'...nowadays we call it 'spelling'. Social studies, history, and for the most part science are not listed as subjects. Times sure are different now.

No comments:

Post a Comment